Friday 4 March 2011

One Word At A Time

I've tried writing blogs before, but I never seem to have anything interesting to say, so I give up. I'm starting to realise now that part of being a writer is about a) finding something interesting and b) writing whether people are reading or not.

So here I am again.

WriteWords encouraged me to start a blog - along with all the other wonderful opportunities it has provided - so it would be rude of me not to try. After all, if I'm a writer, I need to write.

I'm still learning how to write. Not the technicalities, but the discipline of sitting down each day and making myself write, whether I have an idea or not. Maybe with a blog I'll write more. Who knows.

In the meantime, I'll end this initial piece of rambling with a quote from Stephen King. He is the author that I most aspire to be like. I love his writing, I love his talent, and I love his ideas. I recently bought his non-fiction book "On Writing" and discovered that on top of everything else, he's a damn good teacher too.

He was asked in an interview how he writes. A ridiculous question, I'm sure we'll all agree, but his answer is one that has stuck with me firmly. "One word at a time."

After all, that's what it's all about, isn't it. Just writing. Not sitting down to write a novel, or even a short story. It's just about sitting down and writing one word after another. And then the next. And the next.

And if I can do that? Maybe I can be like Stephen King in other ways too.

No comments:

Post a Comment