Tuesday 29 March 2011

Useful Links

Thanks for you comments on my last blog entry, Sarah, Tara and C.  It's always nice to know that other people feel as strongly about their favourite authors as I do!

Anyway, for today, some useful links.

I have a bunch of websites bookmarked that I regularly return to, not just for research purposes, but for inspiration and instruction.  So I thought maybe I should link to some of them here.  If you have any especially wonderful sites that you love, please let me know!

Research
  • Seventh Sanctum - Stuck for a name, or a plot idea?  This is the place for you.  There are loads of name and story generators on the site, and while most of them aren't directly usable, they're a fantastic place to start.
  • Symbols.com - Contains more than 1,600 articles about 2,500 Western signs and symbols. 
  • Literary Liaisons - A site dedicated to the art of historical romance writing.  The most useful section contains a huge amount of articles about the Victorian period in general.

Inspiration
  • WriteOrDie - A website that does nothing more than force you to write!  If you're feeling blocked or just need an added push to get words on paper, give it a try.
  • 13 Writing Tips by Chuck Palahniuk - I love this man's writing, and I regularly read through these tips.  I've seen several lists of tips, but these are the ones that I relate to best.
  • The Bookshelf Muse - A blog where the authors list a new scenario or emotion or something similar and provide ideas and phrase words to help with your prose writing.
  • Save The Words - A site where you can "adopt" a word that is in danger of becoming extinct!

Instruction
These are just the ones that I return to over and over again - I'm fairly sure there are some amazing ones missing from this list!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment